We, business owners and tax paying residents of NC, have the POWER to make our communities safe and healthy for everyone, not just a select few. We have to let our state policy makers know we are paying attention to their actions and we have a VOICE. Help NCBC educate the public about why we need redistricting reform to help build a stable economy where North Carolina businesses can reach their highest potential.
TO JOIN THE EFFORT SIGN UP BELOW.
As business leaders from numerous sectors and companies of all sizes, we serve hundreds of millions of customers across the state and throughout the United States, thanks in part to our great educational system and safe communities. We are deeply concerned that for decades, North Carolina's businesses and citizens have been frustrated by a broken redistricting system. For decades, we have had redistricting lawsuits working their way through the court system to find a solution. For decades, legislation has been introduced to fix this problem but has gone nowhere.
But we’re approaching a new decade. And the FAIR Act represents that: a bipartisan effort to bring clear, nonpartisan standards to the redistricting process.
As business owners, we know that the best and most innovative ideas are born of compromise, cooperation and stem from representatives who are incentivized to listen to all their constituents, rather than a vocal few.
Our businesses can ill afford a future of more uncertainty. We are uncertain about the numerous lawsuits and who will prevail, about which party will be in power in 2020, to how voters will react to their frustration over a broken system and frustrated by lawsuits in which our elected leaders are not able to flexibly respond to economic change and opportunity.
By creating common-sense ground rules for redistricting that eliminate the tools lawmakers can use to carry out partisan gerrymandering, we can create lasting reform that restores true representative democracy in our state. The FAIR Act is emblematic of that. This is why the North Carolina Business Council encourages you to support the FAIR Act (HB140).
As business leaders from numerous sectors and companies of all sizes, we serve hundreds of millions of customers across the state and throughout the United States, thanks in part to our great educational system and safe communities. We are deeply concerned by the NC General Assembly's decision to push for a Constitutional amendment to freeze the Income Tax Cap at 7%.
Lowering the state's Income Tax revenue undermines our free market economy by limiting our ability to provide adequate public services to our state's growing population and invest in the proven strategies that help businesses thrive—a high quality education system and the infrastructure to connect to markets and workers. It will do nothing to keep taxes low, and it is likely to lead to pressures to raise sales and property taxes, which will eat into middle class families’ paychecks and many of our consumers.
Our businesses can ill afford a future in which our elected leaders are not able to flexibly respond to economic change and opportunity.
All of us rely on these public services and they serve as vital engine of our business productivity, innovation and growth. We should not disrupt and damage the backbone of the state's economy in this way.
How the FAIR Act Benefit Businesses
1. Support Competitive Elections. All voters have a shot at electing a candidate who represents their stance on the issues.
2. Encourage compromise among legislators. Elected officials would represent a more diverse electorate instead of a narrow minority. This increases the likelihood that legislators will work together to solve problems.
3. Eliminates disruption of lawsuits: Lawsuits challenging both the 2011 and 2016 have been a distraction and have discouraged voters. With fair redistricting, the labor intensive job of redrawing district lines can be confined to once every 10 years.
4. Encourages civic engagement: Redistricting will rejoin previously separated communities so that they can join together to vote for candidates that support their interests and allow them to join together as a group to hold these elected officials accountable.
5. More Stability: Nonpartisan redistricting would guard against periods of supermajorities of one party over the other. This would prevent drastic changes in laws and regulations when power shifts to the other party.
6. More efficient. The FAIR Act would keep counties and communities intact, so that businesses do not have to go to multiple legislators to be heard.
7. Support Business Innovation. Finally, a government that is open to compromise and responsive to all constituents can innovate in a way that benefits all North Carolinians.